Wed, 16 March 2016
Integrative psychiatrist Kelly Brogan (MIT and Cornell trained) came on the podcast to chat about her new book, A Mind of Your Own: The Truth About Depression and How Women Can Heal Their Bodies to Reclaim Their Lives, a top 20 seller of all books sold on Amazon.
Here are some key highlights:
- Antidepressants modify the hard wiring of your brain’s neuronal synapses, which render the antidepressants ineffective but also induce a refractory depressive state.
- 85 percent of unmedicated folks recover within a year.
- A single dose of an antidepressant can change the brain’s chemistry within three hours.
- Antidepressant use is linked with a high relapse rate, which is linked to how disruptive the medication is to the brain.
- The most powerful path to our brain—and peace of mind—is through our gut.
- Depression and all of its manifestations are glitches in the immune system and inflammatory pathways.